Monday, July 13, 2015

Lou and the homunculus

 It was then I noticed why it had gotten so quiet. Everyone but the homunculus and myself were frozen. A time freeze spell. But homunculus can't cast spells. Then I noticed the ring on here right hand was glowing. Whoever sent her knows some powerful magic. Not just anyone can make a homunculus let alone a ring with a spell in it. I'll play along, for now. Let's see were this takes me. Yet the pit in my stomach says to run. Run away now.
"I'm Lou Finnigan. What do you want?" As she speaks, I know it's just a prerecorded message that was cast when the homunculus was created, but I let her continue anyway. She spoke is such a soft sultry voice.
 "Mr. Finnigan, My name is Diane Louver. My brother has gone missing. He left several days ago to run some errands and he never came back." She paused as if to sigh,but no air left her lips. "He was suppose to meet me at The Berlin Cafe for lunch two days ago, but never showed up. All I know is that his last stop was at the Jilted Bird Emporium, but after that it's like he vanished." She reaches into her purse and pulls out a picture and hands it to me. "Mr. Finnigan, this is my brother. Please, will you help me find him?"
  I take a look at the guy in photo and I instantly recognize him. I mask my surprise the best I can, because who ever made her can see me through her eyes. The man in the photo is Jimi Quikfingers. A small time thief and fence. He deals mostly in small time occult items. The Jilted Bird would have been out of his league.  If he was at the Jilted Bird then he had to be fencing something big. The pit in my stomach is getting bigger. I lay the picture down on the bar and grab a cigarette and light up. I offer her one, "Smoke?" She just stares at me blankly. Figures. I hate dealing with these things. I look her in the eyes and ask, "What makes you think I can find him?" Again that same blank stare. Damn that is creepy as fuck, now how many of these things you deal with. She reaches into her purse and pulls out an envelope and slides across the bar to me. "Mr. Finnigan, you have a reputation as one of the best finders in the city. This is a down payment for your services. I trust you will be able to find my brother." With that she got up and then handed me a card. "Call me when you find my brother and you will receive the rest of your payment." She glided across the pub and out the door. As soon as she left, everyone became animated again.
  Lonnie turned away from the poor sap she was talking to. She looked at me with concern and said "Are you ok, Lou?" I slid the picture and envelope into my jacket pocket. "I'm fine, Lonnie. I just remembered something. I gotta go." I dropped three bucks on the bar for my breakfast and left.
  Outside I lit up another smoke. So many questions. Who the hell sent the homunculus? What did Jimi get himself into? Why come to me with this? I hate not know the fucking answers to shit. Well, I wont find out just standing here talking to myself like a schmuck. Time to go see Donnie Pembroker. Nothing goes on in this city without Donnie knowing about it. Just as I start walking, it starts snowing. Fuck me. Just my luck. Let's hope I can grab a cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment